STOP A&B from Stealing Water for Bt Corn

About

Faith Ewbank, a 47-year resident of Maui, is a mother and grandmother who has testified at many Maui County and Hawaii State hearings. Her interest in island agriculture inspired her recent turn from graphic design to writing.

 

CRITICAL TESTIMONY VIDEO MADE AVAILABLE:

UPDATE: Must Watch suggestions inserted throughout this announcement.

Full Sept. 5th, 2017 Maui County Council Policy, Economic Development & Agriculture Committee Meeting Here

On Tuesday, September 5th, 2017 at 9am real estate investment corporation, Alexander & Baldwin (A&B), will propose their “diversified agriculture” plan to the Maui County Council Policy, Economic Development, and Agriculture Committee. All members of the council are on this committee. Public testimony needed in the Maui County Council Chambers tomorrow morning.

Recent A&B harvest report: 140 acres of corn, 75% GMO and 25% conventional. The 25% conventional is for a specific customer. The other 75% is Bt corn they are planning for use as animal feed or bio energy, although they donʻt yet have a buyer. There are also plans to rotate the corn crop with soybean and sorghum, both of which are predominantly Genetic Modified Organisms (GMO) crops.

When asked why they would base their agricultural operations on a crop that voters decided they didn’t want on Maui. The answer given was, “Because it’s cheaper to grow.”

They don’t plan on shipping any of their harvest out of Hawaii, because shipping costs will make it too expensive. The first harvests being shipped to Big Island Dairy on Hawai‘i island for free so they can see if they like it. They also plan to work with local ranchers to see if they will use Bt corn for animal feed.

 


Must Watch:
One Cow, One Man, One Planet


They anticipate turning Hawaii cattle and dairy operations into corn-based production models. This industrial corn-based model has ruined small farmers all over the U.S. and turned our agricultural economy into one based almost entirely on commodity corn prices. Cows aren’t built to digest corn, they’re grass eaters.

Cows raised on corn require more antibiotics, have higher mortality rates, and would ruin our island grown grass-fed beef.

Annual water consumption is expected to be about the same as sugar. Sugar is a water intensive two year crop. They will grow 3-4 crops of corn per year. Even though the per-crop water use for corn is less, the annual water consumption* will stay the same.


Must Watch: King Corn


This is a continuation of A&B continuing to water bank and hoard water that is protected by the public trust doctrine for farmers.

We need agriculture as part of our economy to feed people and to provide jobs. A&B instead brags of automation and apps with minimal job opportunities.

A&B are NOT FARMERS. They are a REAL ESTATE INVESTMENT CORPORATION who leases to farmers, and grows commodity corn on the side, in order to continue land and water banking for their future real estate endeavors.

Spread the word! All of this is still in the research and development phase. A&B doesn’t have a market for their GMO corn yet. They can only have a successful GMO corn and soy operation if they can find local buyers for their harvest. Our local dairies and cattle ranchers need to be protected from operations that are based on GMO corn animal feed.

Fill The Room! Attend the Policy, Economic Development, and Agriculture Committee on Tuesday September 5th at 9:00 am. YOUR District Representative is on this committee, every council member is on this committee.

Mahalo for your attendance

Tuesday, September 5th, 2017 at 9am

Maui County Council Chambers